Wednesday 10 August 2011

Can't cope

I've written this poem to complete a writing challenge set by an Open University group I belong to.


In October I am beginning a creative writing course with The Open University and, to try and get us into the habit of writing every day, a few of us have started blogs and are completing writing challenges set for us. This was written in response to a request for a 40 line (or less) poem on brutality, and I can't think of many things (if anything, but I don't want to demean anyone else's experiences) more brutal than this.




Can't Cope




I wish someone could make it right,


I don’t know what to do,


I cry myself to sleep at night ,


I’ve no-one to turn to.




The pain I feel is always there,


It’s in my heart as well,


I want to scream, “It’s just not fair!”


A living form of hell.




I’m getting weaker by the day,


I’m left locked up, alone,


I think it’s always been this way,


No ounce of love been shown.




I never, ever speak out loud,


At least not anymore,


I use the darkness as my shroud,


Because their word is law.




I only need to murmur once,


To feel the painful smack,


Just one cry and I hear him pounce,


And feel the bones that crack.




I pray someone will find me soon,


I don’t hold out much hope,


It feels like wishing for the moon,


I don’t think I can cope.




I love my Mum and Dad so much,


Although I know they’re bad,


Always longed for a loving touch,


It makes me very sad.




I’m old beyond my years at two,


I’m trying not to mope,


I pray someone will find me soon,


I don’t think I can cope.











2 comments:

  1. Disturbing. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Paula, it is disturbing but beautifully executed.x

    ReplyDelete